Improve Your Communication Skills Using These Great TipsDec 05, 2023
When my son, Braden, and I attended a 3-day entrepreneurship training event this past weekend in Las Vegas, I was really struck by something.
The event was attended by 400 others in our profession (and 50,000 others who joined online) from various companies and countries, including some of the best in the world.
The common thing I kept noticing over and over from the many successful people we met was their ability to easily make new friends by exercising great communication skills, something greatly lacking by so many today.
Being reminded of the incredible value of these simple yet powerful communication skills, I thought it would be helpful to share them with you. If you are willing to learn them and apply them, they can take you quite far in any endeavor you may choose to pursue.
Here are some of key communication skills we should seek to master:
- The Power of a Smile: A smile is powerful. It’s a universal sign of warmth and friendliness that can break down barriers and create a positive first impression.
- Show Genuine Interest: To win people over, show a sincere interest in them. Listen actively, ask questions, and let others talk about themselves. People love to talk about their interests, and this fosters connections.
- Remember Names: It’s important to remember and use people's names. A person's name is, to that person, the sweetest sound in any language. It demonstrates respect and attention.
- Avoid Criticism and Condemnation: Avoid criticizing or condemning others. Instead, seek to understand their perspective and find common ground. Offering sincere praise for their strengths can go a long way.
- Give Honest Appreciation: Complimenting others genuinely can improve relationships. We should express appreciation whenever we can, fostering goodwill and cooperation.
- Make Others Feel Important: Make others feel significant by allowing them to talk about their achievements, aspirations, and interests. Show appreciation for their contributions and acknowledge their value.
- The Art of Listening: Effective communication involves active listening. I can’t over stress the importance of giving others the opportunity to express themselves fully before responding.
- Encourage Others to Talk: Let others do most of the talking during conversations. This not only makes them feel important but also allows you to gather valuable information about their needs and desires.
- Make Others Feel Safe to Express Disagreement: Create an environment where people can freely express their disagreements or concerns. This fosters open communication and can lead to better solutions.
- The Importance of Sympathy and Empathy: Show genuine sympathy and empathy towards others' challenges and concerns. This fosters trust and understanding.
By implementing these communication principles, you can enhance your effectiveness, influence, and overall success in both your personal and professional life. These principles remain as relevant today as they’ve ever been, maybe even more so now that they are seen less and less in the world around us. Let’s all be to others, the friendly person that we’d desire others to be for us.